Thursday, 9 December 2010

Update

Just read the September post and need to update.

My new job is still brilliant, I don't think I have ever felt as if I've fitted in so well or so easily in any previous job. A lot of this has to do with my new manager who is excellent and whose attitude towards me, all OSH issues and everyone else in the department is second to none. She is calm and knowledgeable and absolutely lovely as a person. She has made it very easy for me to learn the systems and the culture and to be who I am and do the work that is required in my own way. She's brilliant.

Also, I went into hospital for a "procedure" that has completely given me my life back. I am no longer in any pain from that part of me at all. I can again sleep and walk, and concentrate at work etc, etc! It's fantastic and I am so grateful. To life. To the doc who did the op.

Also, I still have my house, which is very good considering what I did to it, i.e. nearly set it alight. Went to work first thing in the morning with a gas ring on full underneath a cast iron pan (so it would dry and not go rusty after washing, don't you know) and left it there for 11 hours, yes, eleven hours. On full. I realised what I had done 10 hours and 50 minutes after I did it, on the way home. When I turned the corner into my road (at 110kmh) I really, really thought I would see a black and charred mess and smoke curling up to the sky. I didn't and I was SO grateful lying in bed that night, in amongst my cool white sheets, on my lovely comfortable mattress, in the quiet and the peace of my own little house.

The glass hob had shattered from the heat and that was it. The bottles of oil next to the hob were intact. The roll of kitchen towel next to the hob was intact. The wooden work surfaces and cupboards all around the gas hob were all intact. Lucky, lucky, lucky that day. OMG.

This is the third time I have had a fire story in this kitchen. Is that the lot? I sure hope so, not sure my nerves can stand any more! It took me a full 24 hours to come back to normal this time! Thankfully the insurers have a stupidity clause called "accidental damage", thankfully.

Another development for me is going to philosophy classes. I intend to blog the stuff I've learnt. I'll see how I go.

No comments: