Sunday, 28 June 2009

Sad films....




I went to the pictures last night. When I was a child I went to the "pictures", does one still do that? Is it the "movies" nowadays? This was definitely the pictures though. The Windosr in Nedlands was built in the 1930's (OLD for Aus!) and is still all olde worlde, smelled of 1930's butter too. Anyway, I have tried to find a photo of the cinema but to no avail, Google has failed me. Apparently they tried to put it onto the Heritage list but due to "unsympathetic interior and exterior alterations", it was declined. It is certainly tired and the seats aren't the best and there is no frontage, which might be why there is no photo... anyway, it was a different experience to the normal movie cinema, which was good, especially for a period film with subtitles.

The film was sad. I try to avoid sad films because they make me cry and I did cry. So did the woman behind me, I heard her. At least I cried quietly! I always cry when someones great love dies and the person is left alone. Coco stayed alone for 60 years. 60 years!!! How awful, dreadful, and very, very sad. She may have built an empire and been an iconic figure etc and the style of our clothes today may well be because of her bravery and groundbreaking style back then, but 60 years alone! OMG.

I also cried when I watched the film about Beatrix Potter, Miss Potter, howled in fact. Quietly though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMDMD7q101I



But the film about Jane Seymour and Superman, (there I am getting my actors muddled up with their characters, of course) I did NOT cry quietly! Gosh, I do remember that one, I was inconsolable for days after that one!!! I did watch it at home though, so didn't do the howly thing in the cinema. In fact I have to try to find that one....will Google fail me again this morning? No! FOUND IT!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_JmUMkLy7g

Somewhere in Time.


I watched it in 1980 early something or other, when my husband was on nights and I was by myself in the house and howled and howled!!!! I cried so much I had to phone my Mum (not the most sympathetic person in the world, but I was pretty desperate) and blubbered on the phone to her for ages! I'm not even going to watch that U-tube preview, just in case!

Anyway, Coco Avant Chanel wasn't THAT bad, but still.... 60 years - what an awful thought :(

6 comments:

Flibbertigibbet said...

May I recommend you avoid Running On Empty and Tuesdays with Morrie.
Both have to be watched alone with multiple boxes of tissues. To this day I feel sad when I think about Running on Empty.

Although I apparently cried quite a lot when ET went home. But I was small then. Ha, like I wouldn't bawl if I watched it today!

Carrie said...

Hmmm...I have never heard of those films and I won't look them up :) Yes, I thought ET was sad too. You know, I never went NEAR Schindlers List. I know that would be horrific and stay with me for the rest of my life, fantasy and play-acting are bad enough, but real life? Oh no, I'm not going there!!! I've just remebered the first episode of ER - did you watch that one? Floods, I tell you, floods....

Carrie said...

Not that I'm saying ER is real life, you understand? That was just the next thing I thought of...
Because that is another thing that just ruins for me - old people left alone by their partner dying first....oh dear....

Fickle Lover said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Flibbertigibbet said...

Apologies - that was me that left the previous comment, I used to have a blog that was private to me and I signed in (like an idiot) with the wrong email address.

Anyway...
I watched Schindlers List. I cried. Crap, I cry over everything, I'm an emotional wreck! lol
I feel like I might have said this before but The Bridges of Madison County - book not movie - made me cry like nothing else. Damn heartbreaking love stories!

I don't remember the beginning of ER at all!
I did that song, months, if not years ago, by Jewel, called Painters, all about the woman losing her husband and how she heard him talking to her in the wind. Still makes me cry!

Carrie said...

God, I'm glad I'm not the only emotional sap around here! :))) What are we like, us girls!?