Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Thank you





I would like to say "Thank you" to a whole list of people. I have been to Geraldton for the weekend and stayed with my friend Erica who beds and boards me in her gorgeous house. I have been to the Engagement Party of Donna and Kim, and was driven up and down Geraldton by my friend Carolyn and her husband Rob. You always think that Geraldton is tiny and no-where is far, but at midnight when it's raining and you've all been out all night, actually it IS quite far from one end of the town to the other. And they did take me back twice cos I forgot my camera, to discover that I forgot it twice and it was actually in Perth on the computer table. Although I did remember the charger!

I would certainly like to say Thank You for the excellent reception I got at the Hillcrest Aged Care facility. I am a nuisance coming up from Head Office in Perth (it even sounds a bloody nuisance) but they were friendliness itself and were falling over themselves to show me around and give me cups of tea and scones!

I met someone there I knew from my childrens school days when we lived in Gero, had a big long chat (where I sidestepped questions about my daughter quite niftily I thought!) and a had a hug when I left, really nice. Made me want to live up there again.

On the way back, it got dark around Badgingarra, and so the rest of the journey was quite surreal, it is already akin to a five hour meditation, doing it in the dark is a whole other level, let me tell you. Especially accompanied by Infected Mushroom and Pendulum at ear bleeding levels. The sunset was bloody fantastic and the smell as you drive down that long road at dusk and into the night is absolutely gorgeous! I love that drive :o)



The road trains, that so many people complain about, are marvellous. I had more than one driver help me to overtake them. They touch their brakes, move over an inch or two and indicate on the near side of the truck once. And away you go! Brilliant! Bearing in mind it is a one track road. It's the most bloody ridiculous road going to the second largest City in WA, Perth being the largest. It is a very busy road and goodness knows how there aren't fatalities by the score every day! I REALLY enjoy whinging about that road! It's one of my favourite things to do every time I get back! So I would particularly like to thank the driver of the road train that was loaded with all those weird rusty metal things and the yellow markings, who actively let me go past him (her?) twice, (coffee stop). And the drivers of all the other road trains that are really fantastic and have a bloody terrible time with the bloody caravans.

Did I mention the bloody caravans? Good god almighty! They make my blood boil! I may have a new subject to whinge about mightily whenever I return! Apparently they are called the "grey nomads". Whenever it gets a bit parky in Perth, they all flock off to warmer climes, bloody hell! Unfortunately, the reason they are called "grey" is that's because they are the next intake to the aged care facilities and they are god-awful drivers, with 4WD's and a fucking big caravan on the back. Road trains let you go past, when, let's face it, you make no difference to them trailing along behind them whatsoever. They are huge and they are not going to even notice a ten km tail back, are they? But they are helpful and polite, seemingly. The grey nomads, on the other hand, are NOT. They will deliberately block other cars and trucks from overtaking them. I kid you not. They can have 36m, three truck road trains thundering along, right up their arses and they still won't let anything past!!! You have NO IDEA how frustrating that is. Or maybe you do. Or maybe you are one of the pestilential bunch yourself! If so, for gods sake, MOVE OVER!!!

One particularly bad one, (probably bald as well as grey!) moved into the middle of the road every time it was clear. When another car was coming, he (she?) moved back into his/her own lane and when the cars were gone, moved back into the fucking middle of the two lane highway! The wheels of the caravan were over the line! Over the line!!! Impossible to overtake. I managed it in the end, but god almighty, my adrenaline levels took 15 minutes to drop back down. And on a five hour journey, the difference between travelling at 80km/h and 110km/h is a huge fucking deal.

Well, my blood pressure has gone back up just writing about it! Hahahaha. Of course, if the road was better with enough overtaking lanes, or even SOME overtaking lanes, the idiots on the road would be appeased! Hahahaha!

By the way, the party was full of police, it being a police woman getting hitched, and they ALL agreed with the awfulness of the caravan drivers! Thankfully, on the way home, there were none. They are all going north. The next migration back down south is due around November/December I suppose. Look out then!

So, a big thank you to Erica, Carolyn, Rob, Donna, Jo, and the patient road train drivers!

And by the way, Erica's dogs are GORGEOUS!! :o)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now Carrie......sit back....relax, and....deep breathe..... :o)