Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Books

I have a certain number of favourite book shops that I go into on a regular basis, just to check out the stock, dont you know? Dymocks, Elizabeths and The Inspiration Factory in Subiaco, Oxford St Books in Leederville, Millpoint Caffe Book Shop in South Perth, Planet Bookshop in Beaufort St, Mt Lawley, Penny Bannister Antiquarian bookstall in Femantle Market not to mention the amazing Borders in the City. Marvellous stuff. As this is my year of self discovery and exploration, I feel SO justified in fully induging my passion for books, book shops and reading!

I am reading four books concurrently and am very happy plunging in and out of quantum theory from the perspective of New Age thinking, (dont want anyone to run away with the idea that I am actually reading or understanding "quantum physics" per se) astrology, philosophy, history and even dipping my toe back into the water of Spiritualism. The upshot of this intellectual and spiritual stimulation is that half the time my thoughts are somewhere else but I am training myself to only daydream and mind-walk whilst walking and to keep my thoughts firmly focussed on work, at work! (It's working, it's working!) My mind freewheels whilst driving, meanders around the park whilst walking and roams around, in and out of sobriety in the evenings when my time is my own and my mind can go where it likes! But the rest of the time I am firmly anchored in the "now" and the "real". Although, I must say, thanks to the ideas and possibilities thrown up by the authors I am coming across right now, my thoughts are coloured with amazing new shades and hues!

Today I reread a book that I originally read in 1984 and it had the same ideas and concepts in as the books written in 2006 by Gregg Braden. So much so that I was wondering if I should email him and let him know about his predecessor in thought! Probably a bit excessive though? Also the books by Paulo Coelho, particularly The Alchemist mirrors Bradens ideas to an amazing degree. Are these guys all in cahoots? (Marvellous word!) Discovery of new ideas (and not so new - did I forget them or did I just need to have them repackaged?) is a fantastic thing. And leads on to so many other areas of research. I now have to check out "Alchemy". Tomorrows delight!

I feel very connected to everything and very happy. I am conscious all the time of my thoughts and my feelings. I am conscious of the effects of my feelings on everyone around me. Before (accentuated because of my sun sign) I would soak up the feelings and impressions left behind by the people around me and shadow their state of mind, now I am feeling that it is me that can change the atmosphere of the room and combate the negativity of the people around me. I am in a "Happy Bubble" right now. Which sounds so sick, I know! Suck it up Dear Reader!

Now, it is late and all good dwellers "DownUnder" should be stacking Zeds. I am taking with me the best and most true Philosopher of All Time, the Great, the One and Only, PG Wodehouse. Doctor Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse. What Ho!

"I've never heard of him. Have you ever heard of him Jeeves?"
"I am familiar with the name Bassington-Bassington, sir. There are three branches of the Bassington-Bassington family - the Shropshire Bassington-Bassingtons, the Hampshire Bassington-Bassingtons, and the Kent Bassington-Bassingtons."
"England seems pretty well stocked up with Bassington-Bassingtons."
"Tolerably so , sir"
"No chance of a sudden shortage, I mean, what?"

2 comments:

Flibbertigibbet said...

I must tell you....
I love books. Deeply love books.
I have a friend out there who I see infrequently and he always makes sure to take me to book shops so I can stroke and smell them. I can lose myself for hours.

However, I also have a barn, which is stocked with literally thousands of books. Thousands. A couple of days ago I hit 10,000 listed online. One of these days I have to sort out my own website. But I handle books every single day and sometimes I can't bear to part with them. A cover image, the title, the smell, something just hooks me and it has to be mine.

I actually stopped reading, not consciously, but it just happened. Then, a friend gave me an antique, carved book slide and I keep a stash of books in my bedroom in it and work my way through them, replenishing them from the shelves downstairs and it's made me read every night. I couldn't be more grateful!

Carrie said...

Well, that's a lot more up-market than the large pile on my bedroom floor! If I stack the pile on the bedside table, I cant read the clock! Consequently my pile and I co-exist and move around each other in a delicate balance each morning. Who is going where? And at what angle? If I keep the books on the bed, the covers eventually get so heavy I cant move the blanket. Or they tumble on top of me at inopportune moments mid-slumber! What is a "book slide" by the way? Photo?